Here’s a Greek dish made with a French sauce, that employs a buttery, creamy olive oil. OPA!
Needed for this Recipe:
Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Mild Intensity Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil such as Arbosana, Arbequina, or Chiquitita
· 1 pound dry ziti pasta
· 4 tablespoons Mild Intensity Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· sea salt and pepper to taste
· 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 2 tablespoons mild EVOO
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 1 pound lean ground beef
· ½ pound lean ground lamb
· 1 cup crushed tomatoes
· ½ cup dry red wine
· ½ cup chicken broth
· ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
· sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
· ½ cup mild EVOO
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· 3 cups milk
· ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 1 large egg, lightly beaten
· Sea-salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
· Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
· Add ziti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
· Drain thoroughly and allow to cool slightly.
· Whisk 4 tablespoons mild EVOO with eggs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and salt.
· Pour over ziti and set aside.
· To make meat sauce heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
· Sauté the onions until soft and translucent.
· Increase heat and add ground beef and lamb and cook until the meat browns.
· Add the tomatoes, wine, broth, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
· Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
To make the Arbosana béchamel:
· heat the olive oil in saucepan and stir in flour.
· Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
· Pour in milk all at once and bring to a boil, stirring constantly
· Boil gently for 1 minute.
· Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper and cool slightly before stirring in beaten egg.
· Transfer 1/2 cup of the béchamel to the meat sauce.
To assemble pastitsio:
· grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with one tablespoon Arbosana EVOO.
· Spoon half of the prepared ziti evenly in the bottom and top with meat sauce.
· Top that with remaining ziti. Pour on the remaining béchamel sauce and spread to completely cover ziti.
· Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
· Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
· Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
* Serves 8 *