Prep time: 5 – 7 minutes
Needed for this recipe:
• 1 romaine lettuce, washed and dried.
• 1 egg, coddled (i.e. brought to a boil in the shell)
• 1-2 garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
• 2 teaspoons Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic (or 3 teaspoons if your garlic is particularly bitter)
• 1-2 inches anchovy paste or 2-3 canned anchovies
• ½ cup + a couple of Tablespoons of Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Medium or Robust Intensity Olive Oil
• ¼ cup + more for garnish of freshly grated Grana Padana cheese (or other hard cheeses such as Parmigiano-Reggiano)
• Salt and Pepper to taste.
While your egg is coddling, peel your garlic cloves. Slice them open and remove the green ‘sprout’ in the middle and discard it. Using a zester, grate your garlic very fine, then put aside.
When your egg has reached a boil, remove from heat and immerse it in cold water.
Tear up your romaine lettuce into pieces that will fit in your mouth without having to be folded on your fork. You may need to discard some of the tough outer leaves, which can also be bitter.
Place all ingredients except lettuce, cheese and garlic in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add cheese and pulse until the cheese is mixed in. Pour your dressing over the lettuce, leaving a few tablespoons of dressing in the blender. Toss your lettuce until it is well-coated with dressing.
Add garlic to the blender and quickly pulse. Add the remaining garlic-infused dressing to your lettuce and toss again.
Divide your lettuce onto individual plates, and garnish with more freshly grated cheese. This recipe is also lovely with homemade croutons or crisply fried pancetta.