French Onion Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 90 minutes
Needed for this recipe:
• Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Robust UP-certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Vegan ‘Butter’ Olive Oil (100% Dairy free)
• 1½ Tablespoons Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Robust UP-certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1½ Tablespoons Sunshine Coast Olive Oil Co. Dairy-Free Butter Infused Olive Oil
• 1 large Walla Walla Onion (or 4 medium yellow onions)
• ½ cup red wine (if you have leftover wine in the fridge, even better)
• 1 can of consommé, diluted according to package directions
• Sea Salt (check out our sea salt collection) and pepper
• Stale French baguette (4-6 slices)
• Gruyere cheese, grated
Heat the oils in a large frypan. Slice the onions into thin circles, then cut the circles in half to make semi-circles. Add the onions to the frypan and sauté, uncovered, on low until the onions have gone translucent (8-10 minutes). Turn the temperature up slightly. Keep cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions have caramelized to a rich brown colour (another 30 minutes or so). Make sure the onions caramelize but don’t burn by stirring and watching your temperature, and if necessary, by adding a tiny bit more oil.
Add the wine, and bring to a simmer. Scrape the bottom of the frypan to get up all the brown bits. If your frypan has room for your consommé, add it now. Otherwise, transfer the onions into a large soup pot. Add 1 cup of consommé to your frypan and swish it around, then add this to your soup pot. You want all the lovely brown bits in your soup, so your frypan should be scraped clean. Either way, add all your consommé to the onions and then let simmer 15- 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, set your oven’s top rack one rung down. Pre-heat your oven’s broiler. Pull out your oven-safe bowls, and cut your baguette slices to fit the circumference of each bowl. This isn’t a tightly fitting jigsaw, you just need a place to hold the cheese, so gaps are fine. Toast your baguette lightly by placing the slices directly on a cookie sheet and broiling them about 1 minute a side. Remove them from the oven and set aside. Set your two oven-safe soup bowls on the cookie sheet. Once your soup is ready, place it in the bowls, and layer the soup with the toasted baguettes and grated cheese.
Broil these in your oven 1-2 minutes, until the edges are browned and all the cheese is bubbling.